A Pilgrimage to Mankamana: Fulfilling Promises and Creating Memories


Have you ever embarked on a journey that combined devotion, adventure, and family bonding? Well, I recently had the opportunity to do just that as my family and I decided to visit Mankamana Temple, a place known not only for its spiritual significance but also its breathtaking natural beauty.

A Divine Promise

Our journey to Mankamana Temple was not a spontaneous decision. It was the culmination of a promise made by my mother a few years ago. In a time of despair when my sister faced a miscarriage and pregnancy complications, my mother turned to her faith for solace. She made a heartfelt promise that if my sister gave birth without any complications, we would visit Mankamana and offer a symbolic act of gratitude—a pigeon's flight.

From Kathmandu to Mankamana

My family resides in Biratnagar, while I am pursuing my master's degree in Kathmandu. Mankamana Temple is conveniently located, just a five-hour drive from the capital. Additionally, my brother also resides in Kathmandu, so we took the opportunity during the Dashain festival after the traditional tika and ceremonies.

Our journey began early in the morning at 7 am. My family had rented a Scorpio for their travel, but my friend and I decided to take the adventurous route and use our motorbike. The estimated cost of petrol for the two-way trip was just 1000 Nepali Rupees.

The Scenic Route

The Scorpio made a brief stop for tea at Malekhu, as we were leisurely enjoying the scenic views of the Trishuli River and the surrounding landscape. Meanwhile, my friend and I were relishing the experience on our motorbike.

At around 12:00 pm, we reached our destination. After attending to the obvious needs like using the restroom and refreshing ourselves, we purchased tickets for the cable car ride. Mankamana Temple is perched at an altitude of 1,302 meters above sea level, and the cable car ride was the quickest way to reach it. The ticket pricing system included a student discount of 200 Rupees, free entry for children, 700 Rupees for adults, and a 200 Rupees discount for senior citizens above 60 years with proper identification.

Ascending to Spirituality

The cable car ride was an exciting experience for me and my sister, as we had never done anything like it before. The journey up the mountain made our ears pop due to the rapid change in altitude. My mother, on the other hand, was quite accustomed to it as it was her third cable car ride, and she was thoroughly enjoying the ride.

Upon arriving at the temple, we encountered yet another line, this time to enter the temple. While my mother and sister waited, my friend and I decided to explore the area. The stunning view of the Manaslu-Himachali and Annapurna ranges to the north left us in awe. We found local vendors selling prayer items, flowers, sweets, and a variety of accessories and wooden handicrafts. We couldn't resist picking up a few souvenirs.

A Promise Fulfilled

After a two-hour wait in line, my family finally had their turn to perform their prayers. It was a particularly special moment as my sister's young daughter also participated in the ritual. The fulfillment of my mother's promise was a touching moment for our family.

Following the temple visit, we enjoyed a meal at a nearby restaurant. The food was good, but unfortunately, they had added soda to our meals, which didn't sit well with our stomachs.

Heading Back to Reality

As the day was drawing to a close, we made our way back to the cable car station to descend. By now, it was already 5 pm, and we needed to begin our journey back to Kathmandu. After some effort, we found a Scorpio that would take us back for 700 Rupees each—a bit costly, but a necessity.

The return journey was not without its challenges. It was dark, cold, and the road was congested. My friend and I were exhausted, and my sore backside served as a reminder of the long bike ride. We finally reached Kathmandu at 11 pm, just a half-hour ahead of the Scorpio.

An Unforgettable Experience

Our pilgrimage to Mankamana Temple was a blend of spirituality, adventure, and family togetherness. If you plan to visit Mankamana, remember to stay in a hotel, especially if it gets late, as accommodations near the temple can be expensive. The road back to Kathmandu at night can be challenging, and safety should always be a top priority.

Mankamana Temple is not just a place of worship; it's a sanctuary where promises are kept, wishes are made, and memories are created. If you ever find yourself in Nepal, don't miss the opportunity to experience its divine beauty and the enduring traditions that make it a unique destination.

















Comments

  1. Congratulations to your sister! A promise fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innocent Joy of Childhood

Exploring the Beauty of Bhundole Hike in Pharphing: A Memorable Summer Adventure